Sunday, July 31, 2011

Staples to Fall Back On

There's something about Fall that makes us feel like making a fresh start.  It gives a need to rebuild our wardrobes just as we did as kids getting ready for back-to-school.  I guess old habits die hard, because it's still my favorite season for finding new treasures to add to my closet.  But when you're an adult with bills to pay and a house to save up for, buying a new spread of jeans, sweaters, shoes and tops isn't exactly in the budget.

That's not to say I won't be adding a few things in the mix.  But first, I'm taking inventory to find out what I actually need to avoid any impulse buys.  Also, I'm planning on investing in accessories to add punch to my wardrobe without breaking the bank.  Finally, I'll get creative and find was to reinvent, tailor, and redesign things I already have to make them brand new all over again.  Here are a few ways to get ready for the fall and season your wardrobe.

Take Inventory - take a good look in your closet and make a mental (or handwritten) note of what you have, what sizes in what brands you wear, and what colors.  Take into consideration if you have too many of something - such as a lot of white tanks, a dozen pair of jeans, a few pairs of the same black pumps, etc, so you know not to buy more of them when you shop.  Also, check to see if anything needs repair or extra care.  Any buttons to be resewn?  Heels to be fixed?  Pants to be properly hemmed?  Set those aside and make a special effort to get them repaired before the season starts.

Try Things On - pull out anything you haven't worn since last fall and make sure they still fit.  If you didn't wear them in over a year, donate them to a friend or local Goodwill.  You probably won't wear them again anyway, and you'll get some space freed up for something new.  If something is too big, make a second pile of clothes to get taken in at a tailor - it will most likely be cheaper  than to buy and entirely new item at the mall.

Organize - if your closet tends to get a little messy, take the time to organize it in a way that works for you.  I like to keep dresses, pants, tops and skirts each in their own sections and then organized by style and color.  It makes getting dressed a breeze every morning, and it makes me aware of what I own.  Also, I like to keep only that season's clothing in my closet, using plastic tubs to store off-season wear and avoid over-crowding.

Get Inspired - I love getting my magazines for September.  There are always new ways to wear things, new colors, hair and make up tips.  Pick out a few of your favorites and spend an afternoon perusing the pages for looks you love.  I oftentimes find different ways to wear and style things I already have.  And why not find a new haircut in one of those mags while you're at it?  Nothing says "fresh" like a new cut.  Sometimes that's all you need to transition your look into a new season. 

Sale Shop - now that you have a list of what you need, figure out when your favorite stores will be having sales.  I never, ever buy anything full price.  And, I'm familiar enough with my favorite brands to know how their markdowns work.  Join the email lists of your most-shopped stores and you will be privy to their upcoming promotions - sometimes getting deals before others.  Also, I online shop savvy by putting things I like into a shopping cart and then checking back on it regularly to see if it's been marked down.  Also, rule-of-thumb is that most stores do markdowns on Thursdays, so check into stores then and you'll be the first to shop through the sales racks.

Reinvent What You Have - there's no need to buy a new wardrobe of dresses every season.  A few is fine, but some can be worn all year with the right add-ons.  Summer sundresses can be matched with a cardigan to work straight into fall.  Sandals can be switched out with boots or closed-toed pumps.  Changing out accessories and makeup can also take a spring/summer look into the new season.  Black tights can make even your white cotton skirts and dresses ready for the crisp, autumn weather.

Just because Summer is coming to an end, doesn't mean your style has to go with it.  Fall is a great time of year for experimenting with new textiles, colors and layers.  Take what you already have, add a few new items to your closet, and make your wardrobe your own.  When in doubt, remember how exciting it was to get new back-to-school clothes, and maybe treat yourself to a new pair of jeans or sweater - or maybe just a fresh pack of colored pencils will do the trick!

No comments:

Post a Comment