Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Timeless Classic

One of my two all-time favorite style icons is Katharine Hepburn (the other is Audrey Hepburn - no relation).  I love her one-of-a-kind looks.  Her way of incorporating menswear items such as trousers and oxfords with flowy blouses and wavy, feminine hair were ahead of her time.  When many women in Hollywood were hugging curves, shaving eyebrows, and going bleach blond, she kept her looks natural and practical.  Her style was easy going yet pure perfection.  So perfect, in fact, we are still copying it today.  Just try opening In Style or People without seeing a pic of a model or celebrity sporting fitted pants with a bow neck blouse.  A feminine update to the oxfords Kate sported seventy years ago are frolicking down city streets on stars such as Kate Bosworth and Kourtney Kardashian.  Even the skinny jeans worn with blazers are a touchstone to the great Oscar winner.

Needless to say, Katharine is one of my idols.  So, imagine my surprise when over dinner with my Aunt on Saturday night, I came to find that Kate was adored by my passed grandma as well.  Unfortunately, I was too young to appreciate style when she was still alive, but apparently she and my aunt would spend their Saturday nights watching old classics - many starring my own fashion star.  Their favorite film - "The African Queen."

Grandma died almost 11 years ago, but I feel just a little closer to her today knowing that we both shared the love of Katharine Hepburn's style and class.  I think I'll have a whole new appreciation the next time I watch my favorite movie - "The Philadelphia Story" - even if it is about the one hundredth time I'd be watching it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Sarah you just brought back a flood of memories for me! My dad loved the classic movies and his favorite movie of all time was "African Queen". Now I know why. PS - Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete